Friday, August 4, 2006

Snapfish Vs. Webshots

I have a Digital camera Sony Cybershot DSC S-40 and I'm preety much happy with it. Recently, I had my july 4th long weekend at Chicago and I had an opprtunity to snapshot some views of downtown chicago, Navypier park and hindu Swaminarayan Temple. I uploaded the pics on WEBSHOTS and SNAPFISH to share them with my friends and family. Snapfish offers 20 free prints for the first time registered users. But there is one problem. The images get uploaded of the size smaller than 540 X 360 resolution. 540 X 360 resolution is the required resolution to have good quality images according to snapfish. So I am confused whether its the snapfish uploader aplication that uploads the photos of the small size or there is something I have to learn about the settings of my camera. And ofcourse, I opted for the big image upload which takes a hell of the time for the images to upload. I never had a problem like this with webshots. when one uploads photos on webshots, the images are big and preety clear. Webshots also provides features like community and tagging of pics which snapfish don't. For conventional film roll camera users, Snapfish sends user in the pre postage paid mailers that one can use to send their films and get the images developed. Webshots don't provide such service. The other features that both the portals offer are, you can order the images to be developed online, you can have your images in the form of stamps or on coffee mugs or t-shirts etc.

So now, I'm googling for some knowledge about image resolution and how to upload the images to have a good quality prints. Once I have that, snapfish works best to order first 20 free prints. To order more than 20 prints, webshots and snapfish both are good and comparable. But, to share your photos online, I feel webshots much more convenient.

No comments: